Friday, June 4, 2010

The Birth of The Art Pages

I was jetlagged and decidedly underwhelmed at finding myself back in Lusaka. Nevertheless I dragged myself into the gallery as I had promised. And this was a good thing.

We had a great deal to catch up on as I had been away for over two weeks, and I was full of stories of the art community in Asheville. I was especially eager to tell them about all the great free art and culture magazines I found in the area.

After much discussion we came to the conclusion that our blog, although nice in its way is simply not reaching local people. This is unsurprising considering how expensive the internet is here – no fibre optics and it is slow as can be. My good colleague Zenzele happened to have with him an art newspaper called 'Art Bakery' that he had picked up during a residency in Cameroon with Goddy Leye. It was a simple, 4 page publication in black and white.

With my inspiration from Asheville and Zenzele's from Cameroon, we realised we had a very special opportunity. And so our art paper idea blossomed.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment